Tuesday, December 5

Graciano Lopez Jaena and Marcelo H. del Pilar

I asked my students to write down two persons who they consider as models of their lives. Two people who are making a significant contribution to our country's economic and political situation. Amazingly and with utter disappointment, some of them answered Atong Ang or even Thaksin Shinawatra!! (PILIPINAS nga ang pinag-uusapan eh!)

This brings me to reflect on the sad truth that the Philippines currently has a dearth of hero figures. Heroes that can be looked up to.

I gave my students excerpts from Ambeth Ocampo's articles talking about Graciano Lopez Jaena and Marcelo H. del Pilar. I then had them draw them ala editorial cartoon/caricature type hoping that they realize that the heroes we have from the Spanish era were just like you and me... specially Lopez-Jaena who must have been a character. What differentiates them is what they were willing to sacrifice for the country.

Most young people today equate being a model with literally being fashion models. It seems like they don't care what values one hold as long as you're popular, then you're made.

No comments: